Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Things that can be hard at School for some people with autism

I go to Miriam School, my most difficult class is reading because it is really hard for me to read out loud and remember what I read. It is easier for me to hear the words so I can understand the story. Alot of my friends have difficulty with math. Math comes easy to me because my brain can do the math problems in my head quickly. I can see numbers much better than words.

Teasing is another thing because it makes me sad when me or my friends get teased. If you think about it, it is not as bad as a lot of other schools with bullies. Because of the Occupational Therapy (OT) at my school, it is more easier to calm down. In fact, they have a huge obstacle course that has a ball pit, squeeze machines, trampolines, a swing, and more OT stuff. I can hold my anger in pretty easily because I trained myself to do that. It is very confusing that a friend would tease another friend. When I hear someone else get teased, I ask them to stop please or walk away. When I or someone else gets teased, it does make me upset but I can practically hold it in till I can find something else to think about. I wish people would just accept people for who they are, but life is not always fair.

Sometimes when people burp or do any other nasty stuff, it can make me gag because I start thinking about it and it's hard to get it out of my mind. I always wanted to help kids with autism my whole life because I too have autism. My mom works at an autism clinic and I want to be like her. Next month, I have been asked to be at my school to teach the Board Members about what it is like to have autism.

5 comments:

  1. Seamus I am so proud of you. You are a courageous young man who I have seen come through many challenges. Your parents have given you the tools you need to be a successful person. It is with great pride I read your blog because I can see how far you have come and that nothing is holding you back.

    angie mihulka
    go steelers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a good job writing this Seamus. I am very impressed with your writing skills. Thank you for doing this blog, I am sure you will help many people.

    I enjoyed meeting you when I stayed at your parent's home in August 2009. You are very kind and polite.

    Best, Jennifer Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seamus, I wish I could be more like you! You are full of compassion and see the good in everyone and everything:-) You have touched so many people's lives, and I have no doubt you will continue to make a positive difference in the lives of so many others. God Blessed this world by bringing you into it. I am so proud of you and honored that God chose me to be your mom:-) I love you sweetie, keep up the great work! Love, MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seamus,
    We are proud to have you as a member of Room 6. You bring so much joy and happiness to all of us. I love your creativity and interest in history. You rock.
    Mr. Zapf

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seamus,
    I like how you have spoken so honestly about bullying and how it feels to be teased. I also like that you are trying to help people better understand what life with autism is like. You're a very special and amazing young man! Thanks for being you!
    Cheryl from the MU Thompson Center for Autism and Neurodevelopmental Disorders

    ReplyDelete